Today is the first time I’m trying this particular recipe, though I’ve made a similar cake multiple times. The two things about this recipe which are a bit putzy are: 1. the springform cake pan (easy to find, but perhaps not something found in the average kitchen), and 2. pulverizing the almonds (I like to mix the almonds with the sugar in the food processor, that way the almond doesn’t get too sticky in the container).
- Claudia Roden’s Orange and Almond Cake
- TOTAL TIME: 3 hours (2 hours unattended)
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- PREP TIME: 2 hour
2 large oranges
1/2 pound ground almonds
1/2 pound sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Wash the oranges and simmer them, unpeeled, in water to cover for 2 hours. Cool, cut them open and remove the seeds. Puree the oranges in a food processor.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Beat the eggs in a food processor or large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, including the orange puree, and mix thoroughly. Pour into a buttered and floured cake tin, with a removable base if possible.
4. Bake for one hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the tin before turning out.
NOTE: This is a very moist cake and goes especially well with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, peaches, plums, apricots and nectarines.